I try and take time every day to clear my desk and the clutter around me. In this way my life is simplified and I can actually think more clearly as clutter creates stress in my life. Think about what you can do to simplify your life and take back control. I hope some of these ideas help you start enjoying your life more right now.
1. Accept what you have. The problem with many of us is that we always think that we’ll be happy when we get our perfect job, or retire, or get our dream house. Unfortunately, it takes a while before you get there, and when you get there, you might have a new plan or destination in mind. Instead, try and be happy with where you are, with who you are, and what you have.
2. Hang around positive people who support you. Spend more time in the company of people who think you are great and soon you will also begin thinking so. Take note of all the positive feedback they give and the good things they say of you and when your self- esteem is low go back to these to remind you.
3. Start a Gratitude book. Every night list five things that you are grateful for that happened today. Sometimes this may be difficult but keep at it. You can always find five things. As you write down the five things focus on how each of these things makes you feel. Really get into the joyful and happy feelings that are associated with each of these things in your life.
4. Have Fun. We often take things too seriously to the point of being obsessed with them. Don’t do this. Instead, make everything you do fun. Having fun will certainly makes you less stressed while at the same time make your life’s journey much more pleasant.
5. Acknowledge Your Achievements. Think about your life and what you have accomplished thus far. Maybe you have earned your degree. Maybe you were promoted. Maybe you had a baby. Acknowledge and write down the things you are proud of having achieved.
6. Focus on Your Strengths. Take a look at the kind of person you are and think about your strengths. Maybe you are a good listener and are especially thoughtful. Maybe you are very thorough and dedicated at your work. List out your strengths and the characteristics you love about yourself. Refer to this list every so often to remind yourself of the wonderful qualities you possess.
7. Keep Moving. Exercise whenever you can. Move your body to release stress and pent up emotions. Walk, run, practice yoga, dance, go to the gym or move to an exercise DVD. Start small. A walk around the block is better than nothing.
8. Smile More Often. Whenever you have a grin on your face, your brain is releasing serotonin, the happy hormone. Smiling is the natural way to force you to be happy. Some people even smile for five minutes straight in the morning to get themselves in a great mood for the day. Just remember that while happiness leads to smiles, smiles also lead to happiness.
9. Have Goals and Dreams. So many people wander aimlessly through life, going moment by moment, day by day without a plan in mind. Instead, decide what your ideal life consists of and begin to put the steps in motion to reach that place. I love the quote by Jim Rohn- “If you don’t design your own life plan, chances are you’ll fall into someone else’s plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.”
10. Love is all there is. Take the time today to tell your friends and family that you love and appreciate them. Let love be in your every action and thought.
It is really easy to sit down and tell yourself that you are going to live a healthy lifestyle. However, as with most things that are good for you it is easier said than done. The best way to get started is to take small, necessary steps. Get out there, get moving and take advantage of the variety and spice that life has to offer. Little changes now can mean big, positive changes in the future.